Miss Robinson and Mrs Hodgson are the Maths Co-ordinators
At Hill Top, both pupils and staff love Maths and we enjoy seeing the creativity within the subject.
This year, Maths across school is taking an exciting journey!
We are working with White Rose Maths Hub to further enhance the teaching and learning of Maths across school.
Across all areas of the Maths curriculum, including: Place Value, Measure, Geometry, Number and Statistics, it is our mission to ensure that all children have the opportunities to secure their knowledge of...
- Rapid Recall Skills
- Varied Fluency
We have been focusing on developing children's problem solving and reasoning skills. We want to provide children with the opportunity to apply their mathematical understanding in a variety of contexts., as well as be able to articulate the strategies they are using to solve problems.
At Hill Top Academy we recognise the importance of establishing a secure foundation in mental calculation and recall of number facts before standard written methods are introduced. We use Mathematical Vocabulary when planning to help determine the appropriate terminology to use in our teaching and children are expected to use it in their verbal and written explanations (see calculation policy).
What children at Hill Top say about Maths
Maths at Hill Top
Our aim is all pupils should:
- Have a sense of the size of a number and where it fits into the number system
- Know by heart number facts such as number bonds, multiplication tables, doubles and halves
- Use what they know by heart to figure out numbers mentally
- Calculate accurately and efficiently, both mentally and in written, drawing on a range of calculation strategies
- Recognise when it is appropriate to use a calculator and be able to do so effectively
- Make sense of number problems , including non routine problems, and recognise the operations needed to solve them
- Explain their methods and reasoning using correct mathematical terms
- Judge whether their answers are reasonable and have strategies for checking the where necessary
- Suggest suitable units for measuring and make sensible estimates of measurements
- Explain and make predictions from the numbers in graphs, diagrams, charts and tables
- Develop spatial awareness and an understanding of the properties of 2D and 3D shapes.
Here are some recommended links to use to support learning
Hill Top Calculation Policy
Parents Guide to helping practise maths at home
SUMMER TERM - Identifying Our Own 'Hazards'
As we enter the final term, the children at Hill Top are moving their Numeracy skills forward and engaging in even more problem solving than ever before!
In Year Three, the children have been working collaboratively to solve problems involving division and remainders. They have been focusing on working collaboratively to explain their strategies and to identify their own 'HAZARDS' when working with division. Their class Hazard board has enabled the children to share their mistakes and misconceptions, allowing them to teach each other how to correct their work.